Be a Maker App - “1” and “one” Are Not Equal

So, I was excited to come up with fun game to program in Be a Maker that wasn’t already done. I created the program and it works okay but not well enough to demonstrate. It is of no fault of my programming but the limitations of the app. The game is a memory game similar to the game Simon. Instead of four colors, I use random numbers 1-4. The issue I am having and cannot see a workaround, is when Jibo says a number for example “1” (the random number that gets placed in the memory list), and I repeat “1”, he sometimes hears “1” but other times hears “one” as indicated when I tap the “last answer” to show what I had said. Well “1” does not equal “one” and I am told that the game is over. It’s frustrating because I repeated “1” and still got it wrong. Unfortunately, there is no way to pick randomly from a list of words. I tried with no luck. Any ideas?

3 Likes

Before you compare the last answer to the memory, could you store the last answer in a variable, and then change that variable to “1” if the variable contains “one”? You would then compare that variable to the memory.

1 Like

I like your thinking, but the issue with memory (my list) is that it grows with each correct match. Example. 2, 2 3, 2 3 2, 2 3 2 4… It would not be possible to evaluate each response because it is ever changing. I considered it, then when I began programming I realized that it was not going to give me the results I was looking for. Thanks for the response.

1 Like

Oh, I misunderstood your game, now I get it. Yeah, this would have to be a proper string replace function, which I’m not sure Scratch has.

1 Like

Maybe a future update will add more functionality. I sure hope so. It is very limiting at the moment.

1 Like

From what I can tell that’s a limitation of Scratch itself. You can replace single characters, but not entire substrings.

1 Like

This does appear to be a limitation of Scratch/the app. We will make sure to pass this along to our team to see if it is something that can be improved in future updates.

In the meantime, I may have found a workaround that can help with this and provide a way of randomly adding a word to the list.

Instead of directly adding a randomly picked number between 1 and 4 to your “memory” list you could create series of if/else controls along with the random 1-4 pick to add words (such as “red”, "blue, “green”, or “yellow”, like the game, Simon) to your "memory list.

An example of how to do that can be seen in the below screenshot:

This would maintain the flow of your project but instead of asking you to repeat a series of numbers Jibo would ask you to repeat a series of words that are picked at random.

7 Likes

YES! That is what I was hoping to do since using numbers was not working out. Thank you kindly for the suggestion.

1 Like

I wanted to post an update on my progress with programming a memory game in Be A Maker. With the help of JohnW, I was able to implement his solution into my program with success. Refer to the original thread Be a Maker App - “1” and “one” Are Not Equal to view his contribution.
I have posted a demonstration video to YouTube for you to see the end result.
https://youtu.be/gEdJpvVk2CY
I have included a photo of the program here. Feel free to use the code or change it up to make it your own.IMG_5905

10 Likes

Great work!

3 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate you taking a look.

1 Like