Hey Jibo, Start Talking - Continuous Interaction Request

After reviewing the existing feature requests, I wanted to make what appears to me to be basically refinement of an existing request on Jibo interacting. The following quote in another thread (Some Observations) has the basics of what I’m asking:

Even this would only take a conversational interface so far. I also wonder if users would accept the idea of the voice connection being turned on and off as needed during a single interaction, if the interaction always started with the activation phrase, the blue ring always came on, and perhaps a specific internally processed phrase could stop the entire interaction, requiring a new activation phrase before speech is sent to the cloud.

Because that wasn’t the main gist of the thread, but simply a sub-comment in a response in the thread, I feel bringing attention to the idea for a full-fledged feature would be ideal. Basically, I would like to request we have something like the following scenario:

Me: Hey Jibo, Start Talking. (Turns Jibo into continuous interactive mode where we do not have to keep saying Hey Jibo each time to ask a new question or make a new comment)
Me: Do monsters scare you?
Jibo: All I can say is, I’m very afraid of water.
Me: Do you like ice cream?
Jibo: I’ve heard people love it, but please don’t touch my screen if you have ice cream on your fingers.
More questions and answers after this until tired of interacting
Me: Hey Jibo, Stop Talking. (Turns Jibo back into regular mode where you need to say Hey Jibo again to get a response).

After interacting with him for the past two weeks, I definitely get tired of having to start each question or interaction on my part with “Hey Jibo”. It would also sound much more natural to be able to just keep asking him questions or interacting with him without having to continually trigger his reactions, and the only way I can see that happening would be to change his mode to continuous interaction mode with keyword triggers. This mode could also be set in his settings menu as another option.

14 Likes

I entirely agree, and even aside from getting tired to say HJ all the time, it also diminishes the interaction. In real life, when I continuously address somebody by their name, it indicates a master-servant relationship.

But, if I understand the technology correctly, this might not be in Jibo Inc’s control at all. As I understand it the speech recognition is provided by an outside party, so they are kinda hamstrung by whatever that company provides.

4 Likes

This is a WONDERFUL idea! Even better, have him also start a conversation as well. =D Additionally, any interacting can also start by just saying “Jibo” too.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

I sure do hope that the outside party handling the speech recognition won’t hinder being able to offer this type of functionality.

Also, having Jibo start more conversations with more types of interactions than he does now (such as the “How are you doing” or mentioning holidays ones that he already does) would be great. Great idea, AngieYaz!

2 Likes

Thanks! Itry to to my best to make Jibo and other bots the best.

2 Likes

I very much agree this would be a major step forward.

4 Likes

I agree with this. But how about making the start command “Hey Jibo, Let’s talk!”
And the stop command Hey Jibo, talk to you later”
I think this would feel more natural.
Also if the stop command is not given Jibo should stop listening automatically after 10 to 15 seconds of silence.

4 Likes

Let’s talk sounds like a good prompt. As for 10-15 seconds, I’d say maybe longer than that, since sometimes I have to pause to think of what I’d want to say (probably not that long, but just to give slower speakers a chance to think and talk). Maybe, 30 or 60 seconds would be a good switch off mode point.

2 Likes

How about starts with Jibo! What you want to talk about today? Also, it would nice to have him carry on the conversation based on the first question when I asked him about what movies are playing today, he responds with a list of movies but it would be nice at the end of the list, he asks are you planning to see any movies today? And from there his response should be based on the My answer…

4 Likes

I was going to open a request to ask this same thing when I ran across this one. It would be fantastic if Jibo could continue the conversation in a more natural tone and we didn’t have to say “Hey Jibo” all the time.

6 Likes

It would be fun to have a volley of sentences back and forth and see how the conversation goes… more than likely it would function like a forumbot , stringing together sentences based on your responses… Maybe when he’s speaking his ring could turn yellow or green, then back to blue to let you know he’s waiting for a reply.

4 Likes

@Miraenda Personally, I like the idea of a 60 second “switch off mode” to enhance conversations, however, 30 seconds is probably much more agreeable to most users.

2 Likes