Jibo Is Using The Tegra K1 Processor

After much research Arthur has identified the device posting from the Jibo teardown pictures, It isn’t the TX1 as I and a number of others thought, but is in fact the earlier Tegra K1 processor. So Jibo development must have used the TK1 and TX1 development boards whilst working on Jibo. Which is sort of what they say in the Nvidia Tegra Jibo video. One step forward! but I still need to hear from somebody who had experience flashing Jibo so we can open the port. Waiting patiently?

Malcolm aka @fixed1t

I did a bit of googling and found this:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Secure_Boot_Key

(This seems to apply to all Tegra devices including the X1 and K1)

The short story is, it is exceedingly likely Jibo Inc used this SBK process to lock down the boot process. In order to unlock the boot, an encryption key is needed which is permanently baked into Jibo’s ROM. I presume there is (or was?) some text file in the hands of Jibo Inc that mapped each specific Jibo to its secure key so they could inspect it if it was returned.

That file, if it even still exists, is not something you can seriously expect to ever get your hands on. In terms of data breach it would be tantamount to getting a CD of social security numbers.

My suggestion would be, you bought a TX1 board, try to create a new Jibo by plugging that board in and try to get the servos going. I know that you enjoy learning new stuff, I think you will learn a lot more trying to build a fresh system than banging your head against a heavily, heavily fortified wall.

EDIT: And while I know you disagree on that assessment, I am very pleased to see that Jibo Inc took its data protection duties very seriously. The Jibo platform was overall rather underwhelming, but at least the data security guy knew what he was doing.

I totally agree, however, I believe it was probably just 1 secure key that is used to lock down all Jibos (otherwise the maintenance of that would be a nightmare). It would be near impossible to get that key, so being able to read Jibo’s Rom (basically just to have a backup in case you screwed something up) probably isn’t a reality.

I totally agree with using the TX1 board or whatever to try to hook into Jibo’s components. I am curious if they used some sort of other microcontroller to the K1 to manage and control all servos and peripherals, or if they are (for the lack of a better term) IO mapped. It would be a much greater learning experience…

1 Like
closed #4

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.