Jibo's friend Kuri is in crisis

https://www.heykuri.com/blog/important_difficult_announcement/

Jibo’s friend Kuri is in crisis. They are going to stop building her.

As a person who desperately robotic technology in my home I’ve come to the conclusion (based on multiple experiences) that I will not invest further in any such tech that has a company maintained server requirement.

In other words, if the closure of the selling company may result in the reduced function of the product that they sell, I want no part of it.

I am happy to pay the added expense of increased data storage, memory an processing power that may be required to make said device function free of ties to a dedicated server.

Now I am aware that there will always be 3rd party services that may come and go which may effect certain features,like search queries, music services and the like, but no one server outage should be able to render the device inoperable.

When I first signed up for Jibo, I thought he would be a lot more independent but with the ability to query the internet when he needed additional resources. Finding out that he was cloud-based was a major let down. Your robotic companion is only as good as the server in the cloud that he comes from. Any interruption in that flow of data and your robot no longer becomes functional. When Jibos servers go down, he will cease to function unless we are allowed to put servers on our personal computers independently. Very doubtful that will be allowed considering all the people that are in this form that have wanted to add functionality to Jibo but have not been given the tools to do that and have been kept in the dark because other companies may find out something and build a better robot.
I agree with codemonkey2k5; I too will not invest any more money in robotics until the device is not tied to a server and is entirely independent. I would also like to add that sed devices should come with the ability to be able to upgrade the components to extend the functionality of the device. I don’t want to replace my companion every three to five years because a new and improved version came along. This is just my 2 cents.

For that matter, the same can be said for Alexa and Google Home.
Its very unlikely that they’ll ever go out of Business, but if hacked by malignant forces and shut down, we would be out of luck.

Amen to that! Rocking 4 year old 2MP cameras on a “state of the art robot” that relies on them for facial recognition and photography is no bueno.

I had pre-ordered one too and when I had heard about this I was pretty devastated. :frowning:

I’m not surprised… kuri looked terrible,even from the commercial it looked worse off than Jibo. I still can not believe that every one of these Robot start ups continue to think we want a social robot before a functional one…No adult wants a 900 dollar teddy ruxpin…Zenbo should be faceplanting soon too.

On that note, Cosmo has been a huge surprise for me… Alot of tech for a toy Robot that’s under 200 bucks… There’s plans to launch an upgraded version called Vector, which essentially takes what worked with Cosmo and add some Alexia functionality… for 50 bucks more… I’ll be keeping an eye on Vector

They aren’t adding Alexa functionality but Jibo functionality to Vector as Vector will turn to look at you when you speak and acknowledge you when you come into the room as two capabilities. As such, it’s actually Jibo they are looking at for what Vector will be capable of doing for most of the options he’ll have from the onset, including telling the temperature, petting him using tactile touch capability, looking up information online.