Maxx Steele Robo Force

Does anyone remember these guys?

Yeah, they were just box/cylinder-shaped pieces of plastic, with suction cups and “crusher” arms…and really cool laser gun accessories. I still have four of them (somewhere in my office.)

They came with this awesome comic:

And I believe there was a cartoon and recent revival. But the real reason I bring this up is because of the awesome product advertised on the comic’s inside cover:

That’s right. Tomorrow’s robot…today!

I have a vague recollection of begging mom to buy me one of these. Then I remember losing consciousness. All I know is that Maxx could “do almost anything a human being can!” And that was good enough for me. :jibo:

For me, it was the Tomy Omnibot that came out in the mid-80s which made me think personal robots were the future. That robot never really did anything automatic…you moved it around with a remote control and could “automate” it a little by having it record a macro of movements.

I spent a lot of time playing with it and watching it crash into walls, but it got me very excited for what was to come. Jibo is the first thing to come around, albeit more than 30 years later, that makes me think much more is possible.

I totally forgot about Omnibot! As I recall, there were a few of these personal robots that were to perform varying degrees of tasks, almost always advertised as being far more advanced than they actually were. If I’m remembering correctly, there was an R2-D2 who also was supposed to roam around the house and serve snacks.

Yeah, I’m looking forward to Jibo, too.

I had an Omnibot, my parents thought I was crazy for buying it. Scripts were “written” by driving it around while the audio tape was recording. Tried to get it to bring me drinks, but it didn’t like my carpets, so it was inconsistent on where it ended up. I tried to take it out a few years later, but couldn’t get the battery to charge. Good times.