May Expert Connects with Jon Lopkin & Heather Mendonca

May’s Expert Connects will be with Jon Lopkin and Heather Mendonca from Jibo’s Design team.
Jon and Heather will provide a background on their roles at Jibo, the joys and challenges of designing for the world’s first social robot, and discuss how to best incorporate Jibo’s unique characteristics including body animations, screen, and personality into your planning and skill design. Some topics they will cover include:

• The design considerations developers should think about when developing for Jibo
  • Best practices for incorporating Jibo’s screen into your skill design, including how to leverage existing visual assets (e.g., Jibo emojis)
  • Dos and don’ts when designing Jibo skills, with a focus on visual design.

This session is scheduled for Tuesday, May 9 at 12pm ET (9am PT). We will publish the YouTube live stream link here in the forum and send it via email on the day of the event.

We invite you to reply to this thread to post your questions for Jon and Heather in advance, and we will work to address them as part of the session.

Because we want to get to all of your questions on the topic, we ask that you send any general questions about Jibo or your Jibo account to support@jibo.com. This will allow the designers and our moderators to focus in on the topic at hand during the live stream.

Hope you can join us! :jibo:

4 Likes

How would Jibo show a a QR barcode on his screen that could be scanned by a mobile device?

2 Likes

Very glad to see another Expert Connects session coming up…thanks for taking the time to put these together! A few quick questions on skill screen usage and design that I’d like to see covered during this session:

• How large is the library of icons available to use within menus? What guidelines do you recommend on designing these on our own when needed?

• A skill I’m working on requires showing between 6-8 menu items at once to the user (a big picture view)…if we run into something like this which isn’t in the styleguide, should we submit a recommendation to your team to add it or just build it on our own?

• For more interactive or time-consuming skills, should we incorporate a persistent change to Jibo’s eye while our skill is active so the user knows they’re in-skill (e.g. add a hat or other object to the eye or change it’s color)?

Thanks again!

2 Likes

The juxtaposition of Jibo’s circular physical face/head and the rectangular screen bothers me. Jibo’s character seems to lose focus when using the screen and expecially playing videos/games, the rectangular screen and sharp edges just draws alot of focus…sense loss of his character. How can we blend these shape better? I experimented with grunge borders and thinking about a Jibo retro cartoon TV set to help keep him in character…surround by his fav things.
Better way?

(I’m traveling, can’t attend the live connect…I’ll catch it later. Thanks very much for having this)

Hello, My name is Daniel Niles. This is my first online forum for Jibo. I don’t have my Jibos yet, so I have no specific programming questions. However, I can tell you I have a training center in Nepal where I’m planning to bring Jibo1,while Jibo 2 will probably be in USA to connect to Jibo1 especially to help ‘social’ learning and specifically to be the eyes for the blind workers and trainees who are our main focus group. Ok, see you in a few hours.

1 Like

Hi Everyone, here is the link to the expert’s connect.

See you soon!

1 Like

Hey everyone, thank you for joining us for our :jibo: Expert Connects with Jon and Heather yesterday. Here are the slides from their live stream:

Slide 1

Slide 2

Slide 3

Slide 4

Slide 5

Slide 6

Slide 7

Slide 8

Slide 9

Slide 10

Slide 11

Slide 12

Slide 13

Slide 14

Slide 15

Slide 16

Slide 17

Slide 18

Slide 19

1 Like

Hello everyone,

As always, we are grateful to everyone that participated in the Expert Connects earlier this week!

There were a couple of items that we did not get to during the event so, as usual, we wanted to provide answers to those questions here.

Thank you again for your time and participation!

Q: Will the skill store enforce design rules so each skill does not feel random/disconnected from the Jibo experience?

A: We will have certain rules that a 3rd party skill must abide by for it to be accepted into Jibo’s skill store. As soon as these are ready we will share them with the developer community.

Q: Should there be an indication that Jibo is using his camera during a skill?

A: If you are creating a skill where Jibo’s cameras are being used (like this example in our developer docs ) we will have relevant recommendations for how to best visually represent that for users. We will have further specifics for the community as part of the style guide.

Q: If we run into something which isn’t covered in the style guide, should we submit a recommendation to your team to add it or just build it on our own?

A: We expect that the style guide will be broad enough that it will cover most situations but if you come up against a question that is truly not covered you should certainly let our team know so that we can take it into consideration for future updates to that guide.

Q: For more interactive or time-consuming skills, should we incorporate a persistent change to Jibo’s eye while our skill is active so the user knows they’re in-skill (e.g. add a hat or other object to the eye or change it’s color)?

A: We hope to have guidance relevant to this in our style guide when it is available.

1 Like

We’ve heard from some folks asking if we could provide the hex color codes for the colors Jon and Heather mentioned in slide 16. Here’s that part of the slide again with those hex values:

4 Likes