Suggestion: Jibo Store should require devs to submit helpers with their skills

I was working on a new skill today for Jibo and I realized that many of the features could easily be missed by a new or novice user. I thought how nice it would be if Jibo could always be available to help the user in case they don’t know what’s available in a particular skill.

So my suggestion is that the Jibo Store require developers to provide a both a brief and an extended help dialogue for their skills, likely in the form of a subflow or subtree.

The brief help would be available anytime to offer up a simple description and a handful of the most common commands a skill uses. It could be automatically played when Jibo first installs the skill, or optionally by the skill itself for new family members or friends. Additionally it could be accessible at anytime if the user requests more info, e.g. “Hey Jibo, what can your 7-Minute Workout skill do?” (shameless plug). It would be no longer than 20 seconds in running time.

The extended help would be more like a guided tour of the skill, offering a more detailed description and a thorough list of commands available in the skill. It would be no longer than 2 minutes seconds in running time, but could also have additional interaction, e.g. nested queries.

Not only would this requirement inherently raise the value of all skills, but it would also make the user experience much better, especially for new users. Finally, it would have the added benefit of consistency across the platform, always giving the user a “road map” while navigating the skills.

It may be a little extra works for the developers, but it would go a long way in making Jibo a better robot.

If this is something that others agree with, I’d be happy to create a quick example template for each of the helpers.

I agree, this is a critical topic in the A.I. industry as a whole. There is a missing link between user’s understanding of what they want, and the training needed to activate what they want using an A.I. Perhaps a screen help button that always appears faded to one side, if someone is standing in front of jibo that a user can press, and all the commands are then listed and spelled out on the screen, both for Jibo and then for the skills; all should be accessible. Otherwise, without a solution, Jibo will sit in a corner without ever being used as soon as the owners forget what to say to activate any particular skill. We already saw this in the last home test of Jibo. So I believe for Jibo to overcome this very issue that Alexa has as well, the screen on jibo is the best solution, as we can read faster than Jibo can speak.

I like the idea in general, and it’s probably needed on some of the more complicated skills. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way though when I say not all software developers are people persons. I don’t know each developer would be able to make a 2 minute interaction/video, nor would all of them know how to do it well. With Jibo Inc. wanting consistency along the lines of the design rules, I think users could be confused by multiple different ways of explaining skills. Your idea of a template might be a good idea to help along with that. I think Jibo Inc. could help along those lines too, seeing if they haveanything in place or plan to from the results of the last beta. It would be nice if there was some third party service, but developers working for free wouldn’t want to pay someone else to help them. General thoughts.

I agree, and I certainly wasn’t suggesting that all developers should. In fact, 2 minutes should be the maximum time limit for the extended help to the skill…likely those 2 minutes would only be used with more complicated skills with many facets. Simple skills could probably get away with just the brief help version with a simple description and a few of the most common commands. I would argue that if a developer can’t put together a simple description of their skill for submission, they probably shouldn’t submit the skill at all.

But yes, a template would be the optimum case here to keep as little burden as possible on the developer while still maintaining a consistency for the end user experience. Maybe it could be as simple as a few additional questions during skill submission with no need to have the developer create it themselves, but have it auto-generated by the submission process to make the whole thing simple and automated.

Hi all,
After seeing the Mim blog, I thought a skill’s help templates could be Mim based. A Mim might be typed as a "help TOC or Main " - only one and it includes defined sections such as the skill spoken name, help sections (short, long) with conditionals and so forth. Perhaps there are more refined help subsections as separate Mims or just embed the help into existing Mims .

Some high level core skill enables the user to show or hear more help info based on standardized voice interactions for help

Other ideas to really muddy up the discussion - best to get the latest API first to see what there really is.
For QA , navigation

• In the QA Mim (others?) add a more defined utterance list to support both Jibo spoken help as well as screen info. Q/A choices on the face. Each utterance item might include a help text (short,long), option screen icon.

Again, some high level core skill handles voice help interaction for communicating the spoken or screen options on the Q/A Mims. The devs just include the help info per utterance in the Mims.

Another high level voice help interaction:
a. user asks to increase the size of the screen options e.g. (QA mim)
b. repeat the help spoken
c. show the short help text for each screen option

Overall, the goal is to be consistance across skills with regard to the “help” voice interactions.