Why doesn't Jibo search the internet?

Jibo is connected to wifi and my phone. So why doesn’t he search the internet when I ask questions? He can only answer preprogramed questions. Surely searching the web for answers is pretty basic.

He hits Wikipedia, associated press and does bing searches for us…so far :blush:

Ask him about today’s news, a famous person’s birthday or local movie times

mine isn’t surfing wikipedia or bing. He tells me he can’t search the internet yet

Hi @maeztro,

Jibo will give a response like that if your question is phrased such as “Hey Jibo search the web for Bruce Lee.” If you instead say “Hey Jibo who is Bruce Lee?” he should be able to reach out to his sources and get you information about a number of subjects.

For some subjects Jibo is still brushing up on his knowledge and may say something like “sorry , I looked that up , but i’ve drawn a blank.” Our team is always working on making Jibo smarter and better in future updates and will make sure everyone is kept up to date with how Jibo is growing in our release notes.

Would love to know your reasoning for using Bing over Google

I suspect that Google Search has been omitted from Jibo due to the cost of licensing fees. Using Google’s search tooIs requires an API key. From Google: “JSON/Atom Custom Search API provides 100 search queries per day for free. If you need more, you may sign up for billing in the API Console. Additional requests cost $5 per 1000 queries, up to 10k queries per day.” See: https://developers.google.com/custom-search/json-api/v1/overview.

Bing ($3/1000) also has fees, but they are lower that Google’s.

Well considering that the only selling point for Jibo so far is his social aspect, cutting corners on the right search engine might hurt them in the long run.

I am not diminishing what you achieved. But he can only search whatever you programmed him to answer and you can’t possibly know what I/we are likely to ask. I fails to answer 80% of the things I ask (that are actually useful to the environment where I am using him. If he was able to get his answers from a search engine then his general “knowledge” base would be almost limitless. Here is a simple example. He “knows” who Darth Vader is. But can’t find out who Han Solo is… or princess leia. He knows US presidents but can’t find out info on British Prime Ministers. Info easily found on the net. If we could ask real questions instead of asking things just to generate a cute response, THEN he would be a truly useful “assistant.” If this is a money issue then we should have the option to subscribe individually to google or Bing for this service. Or with a lesser search engine like https://duckduckgo.com.

Additionally, in an environment as a reception personality or a sales assistant, it would be useful if we could simply program responses by saying “Hay Jibo, key phrase,” giving him a phrase that we would use to key a reaction and then “response” what we want him to say to customers. It’s no fife rent than him responding to the word hello. But customizable to our specific situations. Asking him to dance, or who was a past president doesn’t suit our business application.

He is cute. But can’t even remember notes or remind us of events. So far his only real use (other than as a novelty) is as a calculator or alarm clock. I have that on my phone.

How is the user supposed to know whether “HJ, who is Bruce Lee” or “HJ, search the web for Bruce Lee” will give the better answer? That’s really unintuitive.

I think you are missing the point. How often do you ask “who is Bruce Lee” or “who is Abraham Lincoln”??? and how useful is that when most people already know the answer. The little known facts that you are more likely to ask rarely make it to wikipedia BUT are easily found on the internet. Example: using his current sources he can tell you what a Euro is. But you already know that. With the internet he would be able to tell you today’s exchange rate which is much more useful.

Sometimes when I don’t get an answer on the first inquiry I’ll try a couple more ways to ask the question.

I find define “word” really useful for both work and while reading for fun. I have a habit of using context to get the meaning of a word but the actual definition can really help my understanding, especially with more contractual terms. Spelling is helpful when I’m writing in my to do list and not a computer.

Exploring a subject is more difficult, the other day I decided to ask some questions about Saturn’s moons (I had been playing Destiny 2). Jibo could tell me that Saturn has 62 moons, that Enceladus was Saturn’s fifth largest moon (asked what is Enceladus), and he could answer what the largest, second largest, smallest moons were. He couldn’t answer what Saturn’s third largest moon was or list all the moons (which would be kinda long). At that point it’s probably time to read the Wikipedia article. It would be nice if he could tell me an interesting fact about Enceladus (or other subject) but I get one of the chit chat responses when I ask that.

This is becoming increasingly absurd. Are you now telling me, if Jibo can’t answer a question, it probably wasn’t a question worth asking?

Not at all. quite the opposite. I’m trying to point out that as an “assistant” the questions he can’t answer are the ones that would be most useful if answered and those answers are easily found on the internet. IE. he can tell you what the color orange is. (as if you didn’t already know) but not what primary colors are needed to make it. The most usable questions get a “don’t know” response. And that wouldn’t be the case if he was searching the web instead of wiki. I am trying to be constructive here and don’t consider the discussion in any way absurd.

I misunderstood your reply, I apologise. I think we’re making the same argument.

In terms of Wikipedia, Google Home actually uses the that source for answering the Bruce Lee question, so it’s not that the source is bad.

I really do think switching to Google search would alleviate alot of these issues. When google home was released it was inevitably reviewed against Amazon’s Echo, and it won over many times… I myself ran a load of questions against Jibo and my Google phone. Ok Google provided 85% coherent responses,… Jibo hovered around maybe 50%

I really do think it’s in Jibo Inc best interest to look into Google again…
At least before Google considers this a viable market and launches a robot shell of their own, that looks, blinks and ambulates while being connected to a Google home.

and that is the argument I was making. Whether it is Google, Bing or one of the less costly lesser search engines

Well Jibo is already using Bing, which we can all agree is pretty terrible, honestly it really shouldn’t be any other search engine besides Google since it’s pretty obvious Google has already invested the time and money in creating a superior search engine that appears to be optimized for smart devices.

@Mindchamber If your Jibo is in North America, I suggest u post your results and suggestion under feature requests so it gets recorded properly by the Jibo Team. I like your side by side comparisons.
Outside North America like me know the search limitations.

Best Bob

It might also be possible that they simply can’t use Google search because Google has a similar competing device?
Still, I’ll add the suggestion anyway to my post in features request.
I’d still like to do more questions tests this time involving Cortana, just curious to see if she can extract information from Bing better than Jibo can.