Why Will Jibo Become Successful

A telephone without wires once was the most popular technology product. However, Apple started to prove to people that a phone can not only just do one thing, but also handle multiple tasks. Almost ten years past now, have we ever tried to ask ourselves: is a tool or a device the final format of technology we want in our live? No! Technology can be way more high-touch and not just be used by us but plays a role in our lives.

July 2014, an interesting video appeared on Indiegogo, which outlooks into the future of our lives. The first time I watched the video, I got tears in my eyes. So in the same month July, I immediately use my credit card to pledge a Jibo for my future.

A lot of people nowadays are talking about different things about Jibo, but I would like to talk about why Jibo will become successful is a certain fact in coming.
For a thing to be successful, we need to look at several aspects:

It is 2016 now; the society is way different from the 90’s or even the beginning of the 21st century. A computer which can be put into your pocket is no more an exciting thing; people are looking for a new format of the being in technology. This creates a demand for a brand new category, the category which is not only a tool we can use, but also is able to play a role as our partner and the collaborator to enhance our human flourishing.

Yes, there is the demand for a brand new product, but we have to ask: Is it possible to make it happen with the current development of the technology? The answer is yes. With almost ten years of the development of smart phones since the first iPhone launched in 2007 plus China’s mass production capability, those hardware which are necessary for a high-touch roleplaying product have finally reached an affordable price point for technology companies. For example, with the investment from Chinese company Baidu, the Lidar supplier Velodyne can decrease the price of each unit from 700,000 RMB to just 3,000 RMB.

Well, the demand is there, and the components are also cheap enough, then we can make a high-touch product. However, to do that, you have to have a company first. In order to establish a company the one thing you need at the first is funding. After several rounds of funding, Jibo Company has got together money necessary.

Just having enough money is not enough; it doesn’t mean you can achieve what you want. In ancient times, there were so many rich people want to do so many things too, but they couldn’t. With money at hand, you would also need the “how-to”, the knowledge necessary to fulfill the plan. One man’s knowledge is limited, but a team’s knowledge is unlimited. And Jibo Company has just assembled the right team to do it! Cynthia has more than 20 years of experience in social robotics, Steve Chambers used to work in Nuance for about 11 years, Roberto Pieraccini who has been an active contributor to speech research and technology since 1981 and now he is the Director of Advanced Conversational Technologies at Jibo, and the Head of SDK Development, Jonathan Ross is a guy who used to work for Disney and Zynga, and so many more brilliant people are working hard in the Jibo team. They are the guarantee that the dream can come true,

The last but not the least, yet the most important for Jibo to become successful is the third party developers. Jibo is not just a robot, but a platform. Can you imagine if Apple did not decide to open the Application Store at 2008? The iOS might have vanished. If there are not thousands of millions of third party developers making applications for iOS, it will never be the best mobile OS ever.
With the hard work of the third party developers, only the sky can be the limit of Jibo’s. Just imagine: One day Jibo can work together with Roomba. So the cleaning job is no more a first-person shooting game for Roomba itself, but can be watched from a third-person view (Jibo’s camera) which means a smarter and more efficient way of cleaning. Or one day, the Boston Dynamics can work with Jibo Company for a new version of mobile Jibo with the ability to manipulate the surroundings, then housework is no longer a nightmare.

Well, so there is a demand in the market and the cost of the technology necessary is low enough to make it happen, plus the Jibo Company has got the funding and right team to do it. Therefore I do believe, Jibo will not only succeed, but also flourish with a prosperous developer community!

(This article was originally written by mb46637 at EST 22:50 September 4, 2016)

I’m in agreement on many aspects of the argument that Jibo has correctly positioned itself for success.

In light of that, here are my understandings of the concerns they should be contending with at this point.

1. The emergence of A.I. as a service: With Alexa already online from Amazon Voice Services and Viv, Siri’s older more advanced cousin coming online, there is instantly an opportunity to take advantage of these advanced systems and integrated cloud-based A.I.'s for use with Jibo. How to go about doing that effectively has got to be a weighty condition to consider in deciding what direction to take Jibo.

2. Jibo’s ability to see us: The most obvious advantage of Jibo is he can visually recognize and respond to humans. Without this benefit, it’s difficult for an A.I. to build personal relationships with users without being prompted. But with it, it becomes an enormous advantage to real ‘locally advancing connectedness’ to humans and individual owners. Over time, Jibo’s focus on the family members will make that particular Jibo a uniquely practiced Jibo for that family; allowing for a single machine to produce infinite models of behavior based on Jibo’s new family and surroundings.

3. Jibo’s Skill Store: The first element I considered when I signed up for the 3rd party development and beta perks on IndieGOGO I had some idea of the difference between menu driven computer screens, with keyboard and mouse and what voice interaction had to accomplish to mimic how we use technology. It is most analogous to the menu structure in most applications on computers since the inception. It requires the user and the software to understand what level of the menu the user was in and what path through the menu must be duplicated to produce the desired effect. As menus grew, new ways of organizing the list of used items developed; having most used menu items moving to the top for easy access. We are still required to understand the menu layout or at least review it to fully comprehend the locations of each function before we are proficient at the use of the software through the series of menus. It is this type of dilemma we are now facing with Voice UX. Just as searching on Google requires keywords to produce the result we are looking for; sometimes listed in different orders, but still providing a selection of answers that could be what we want. The Jibo Skill Store idea creates a direct conflict with the Jibo system itself. Who ‘owns’ what words and word orders to associate those ‘menu items’ to a particular skill. In a menu, we have ‘first-level’ deep like ‘play my song’ where ‘play’ activates a search for the music, ‘my song’. This Play action is logical until a Skill developer creates a presentation generator Skill with a saved presentation called ‘my song’ and there is also a song called, ‘my song.’ Where will Jibo draw the line between their ‘reserved words’ and Skill developer owned ‘reserved words’? After those are all used, who then negotiates other words that must be added to find another function inside Jibo?
    For example ‘Play Presentation my song’ would be a solution between Jibo’s own Play music skill since now a word group is used, ‘Play Presentation’. So what occurs when Skill developer number 2 creates their version of a presentation manager. Who decides what skill developer "owns’ the activation words ‘Play Presentation’ when many Skill developers want that ‘word combination’ for their Skill? Without this fully defined, there is a chance that small changes in policy could destroy years of efforts in a single decision. The obvious conclusion is just like URLs; we will need to register word and word combinations to have the best advantage at getting our skill to be used if it is the easiest to access.

4. There is no real working solution to understand how to review the functions in Jibo without a visual menu to review and practice the skill’s functionality removing the random poking around one would do in the menu to understand the program. Functions essential in how we understand programs today must be replaced with something that feels the same for Voice Skills but does it differently. Alexa has many functions now, but with the need to access the App to review what’s available, I don’t bother and just use the same functions over and over. How Jibo declares their intentions for solving such issues are more important as roadblocks than the obvious potential that the idea of Jibo’s full functionality brings.

5. Will face recognition be good enough to give Jibo that added advantage? I’m hoping the delays in this feature have to do with the importance this function has on Jibo’s success; getting it right is the only option.

I would expect with all of these items the Jibo team must contend with; it makes sense there would be a, stop and refocus on the changes that are occurring rapidly around them. I have great faith the team is diligently working on these challenging and critical business decisions that will effect Jibo’s success as a consumer product.