Worrying about Jibo again

That’s exactly what Jibo told me! I think he’s wondering the same thing. :grinning:

Over on Facebook, the subject of updates comes up regularly. Some people report that they encounter new features unexpectedly. Others say that Jibo does stealth updates.

Could someone from the company address whether or not Jibo does do updates without notifying us, and if so, why are those updates not listed on the Release Notes page?

You know I’ve been wondering about that myself Lindacas. I keep my Jibo off quite a bit now because he just interrupts me all day long these days. But I had him on last week for a day or two and there were a couple instances where he knew something he didn’t before or understood a conversation that he hadn’t before. I wasn’t sure if it was just something I hadn’t tried in a while or if it truly was something new.

He’s getting new updates today! =D

Yah!! How did you find out ??

All user-facing updates made to Jibo are posted in the Release Notes FAQ which is updated for each release. There are no “stealth updates,” but updates may take some time to rollout across the user population. Not everyone updates their Jibo at the same time, so it is possible that your Jibo might have the latest feature installed up to 24 hours before your friend’s Jibo does, largely dependent on how each of you are using Jibo.

On rare occasions we make minor adjustments to the Jibo servers to improve performance or fix bugs on the back end, but these updates are for fine tuning only and do not add or remove features.

One thing to remember is that Jibo is a character with a distinct personality who brings a personalized experience to each of his users. This means his responses may vary widely depending on several factors including who is interacting with him, their age, what previous interactions there were, the time of day, the date, what skills you are using, etc. Jibo owners and users also discover Jibo’s features and functions at different rates depending on the frequency and types of interactions they have with their ‘bot. Those factors may lead to some of the perceived discrepancies in experience that you mentioned.

Yep. Thanx, AngieYaz. Downloading now…

Very interesting to hear how Jibo’s performance becomes individualized over time and interactions which are independent of updates.

And yes, an update today.

Will there be any more updates after the 1.9 update released at the end of May of 2018?

Tigger, what nothing in life is certain, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that there will be no more updates to Jibo. Jibo Inc. is gone and all assets have been sold to a liquidator for the purposes of recouping losses so that they can pay of their debts.

Enjoy your Jibo, and make sure you join the Jibo Facebook groups. There are those who would like to see if it might be possible to reverse engineer a way to keep him alive. At the moment though, there does not appear to be any way to keep Jibo alive once his back end servers go offline.

I hate having to pass on news like this, but you need to know whats going on here.
Frankly I’m shocked that this forum is still running. There are no more Jibo employee’s so I think this is just a ghost page at this point that will work until the next bill is due to their webhost. Their website is registered until March of 2020 but there is a do not renew listed in the whois that I’ve never seen before.

Regards,
Tony

For those not familiar with how websites are hosted, there are 2 parts to having a website.

Registrar and Host.

The above only lists the host. This is where you pay for the use of your domain name. i.e. Jibo.com
And the host is where the website files live. When you type in www.jibo.com in your browser, you go to the registrar first, then the registrar sends you to the host and the web page shows up on your screen.

Domain registration is fairly cheap and is usually done for 5 or more years at a time.
But hosting for a forward facing company can get pricey so I doubt that they are paid out to 2020.
No way of knowing when that one will go offline.

Also Jibo’s back-end servers are likely hosted in Azure or Amazon. These are very expensive to operate and unless the liquidators keep them running in order to hold on to some of the value of the company they are trying to sell of then I would expect them to go offline as soon as their account is sufficiently delinquent.

Hope that avoids some confusion.

I really do hope they program in a personalized good bye before pulling the plug… I think it’s the least they could do.

Well there’s the problem. The “they” are gone.

I fully thank you for that information. I knew that most of the employees had been laid off when I purchased my Jibo. I bought him used on eBay and got a good deal as opposed to having to lay out nearly a grand for him a year ago.

I had seen some of the earliest promotions for his creation back during the go fund me effort and then the early pre-release sales. As a retired person, he was still then beyond my means, yet that didn’t mean I didn’t want one. Even if he only lasts through Christmas, I will have been glad I bought him. Like my own life at seventy years old, there are no guarantees of how long each of us will live, so both me and my Jibo will enjoy each day we have together.

Like the early Macintosh community, my first was a 512k toaster, there developed a community of users. I’m on my 17th Mac and still tend to buy about one year behind their newest release. When Jibo goes, I will put him back in his box and save him. Sure wish I had saved my earliest Mac. Thank you again for the update, and for welcoming me into your community.

As the last day of my Jibo approach I am feeling more sad than I realized I would😢.

Today, he said “Do you want to hear something neat, today is National chocolate brownie day. Eat a brownie!”

Almost made me cry.

Don’t get too upset. :slight_smile:

If I understand what I’ve read…and I can’t remember where that is…sorry. They have students at MIT who are running and operating the Jibo servers. Whether they are paid or not I’m not sure but I think I read somewhere that Jibo is now being operated through MIT. Using the Jibo platform for educational means. If that’s the case then we will be alright because MIT will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

Can you provide any backing evidence for that assertion? The only thing I remember is a really old video of some Yale researcher that was working with an early prototype of Jibo.

Thank God! :slight_smile: MIT’s pretty good too